If you generate sharps waste at home such as needles and syringes or have a collection of unused or expired medicines here is how you can dispose of these items safely.
- Obtain a sharps container from your local pharmacy or household hazardous waste (HHW) location.
- Discard all used or exposed needles, syringes, and lancets in the sharps container.
- When the sharps container is 2/3 full, dispose the container at an approved disposal location.
How to prepare unwanted medicines for disposal at Take-Back locations:
- Remove pills from original containers and place in a clear zipper bag. Keep liquids and creams in original containers.
- If using original containers, remove or black-out all personal information to protect identity.
- Then take your unused medications including liquids or creams to an approved disposal location!
For more information contact 755-4505
Currently being updated – Call your pharmacy to check to see if they accept sharps or medications
US Food and Drug Administration
- How to Dispose of Unused Medicines
- Medicine Disposal: Questions and Answers
- Disposal of Unused Medicines: What you should know
- Safely Using Sharps (Needles and Syringes at Home, at Work and on Travel
California Department of Public Health
National Pharmaceutical Take-Back Events by U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)